Case against a father accused of repeated rapes postponed


Community members protesst outside the Galeshewe Magistrate court. Picture: Olebogeng Molale


The Galeshewe Magistrate Court on Tuesday postponed a bail hearing of a 47-year-old man who is facing charges of rape. The accused allegedly raped his three daughters. It is alleged that the suspect started raping the older daughter at the age of nine until earlier this month after she reported the case to the police.


The case was postponed after the investigating officer could not confirm the validity of the three addresses that the accused had provided. His legal aid lawyer requested that the case be postponed so that he could give another address where he would stay, should he be released on bail. The bail hearing was postponed until October 2, 2022.


Angry residents who were in court in support of the victims called on the magistrate to deny bail as he posed a threat to his children and other children in the neighbourhood.


Rachel Modise, a community member, said that they are saddened that a father took advantage of his own daughters. “As a woman, I am here today to support the victims,” she said. ”We want him to rot in jail because he is a danger to the community. Such a person should not be given bail at all”



Another resident, Thuso Masito, “we are worried about the delay, we do not want the court to take long in resolving this case.” She expressed concern about the impact that the delays would have on the alleged victims.




The National Prosecuting Authority’s spokesperson, Mojalefa Senokoatsane said that it will oppose bail against the suspect due to the serious nature of the charges. “Investigations are ongoing,” he confirmed.

  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon
  • Google+ Social Icon
  • YouTube Social  Icon
  • Pinterest Social Icon
  • Instagram Social Icon